Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Monday, June 7 Manassas,VA to Hagerstown,MD







Today I had an easy start, because my train to Manassas ran at 1 pm, so I had the morning for packing, a long breakfast at the Radisson and writing mail.

The VRE station in Crystal City was hard to find, my GPS did not, but the taxi driver did. This was my first ime to ride a train in the US. Amazingly, it was a doubledecker with an open inner plan, it reminded me of Japan, only slower. In Manassas, I took a cab to the storage unit, hoping the bike was OK. It was, started at the first touch, thanks to BMW and the gas additive.


Self Storage did a good job in keeping the bike stored, dry and heated, thanks!


Repacking took a while, and the bike is a little top heavy. I got under way at 5 pm and the GPS told me to take 66 toward Washington, then make for I-70 towards Pittsburgh. Big mistake at that hour, the traffic was unbelievable around the Beltway.



I noticed the Virginia Maryland area have many historic places related to the Civil War. I passed close to Bull Run, Harper's Ferry and Gettysburg.
















I reached Hagerstown at 6.30 pm and decided to stay the night. But before that, I took a ride through the historic of Civil War battlefield of Antietam and the surrounding towns, like Sharpsburg, and Boonsboro. They all lie in beautiful rolling meadows and groves and have many historic buildings.

Hagerstown itself also has a historic district. I found a nice hotel, the Venice best Western, and was attended by two young people from Kazakhstan and Ukrania, who study and work in the US. They were friendly and efficient and I wish them well.





Then I looked for a place for dinner and I found The Landing Pub abd FRestaurant. To my surprise, they served specialty beers and had a trio playing rock and roll and country music. Mike Fotta, the owner, did a great job remodeling the place and the Spaten Lager and Weissbier were excellent.



Tomorrow I will head out early towards Cleveland to make up for time. Weather reports show tornadoes in the Midwest and storms in the Chicago area. here in MD, the weather should hold, we will see!








I hope to meet Rotarians in Cleveland.

Jean, the Riding Dutchman

No comments:

Post a Comment