Friday, June 11, 2010

Thursday June 10 Muskegon




My plan to take the 10 am ferry to Milwaukee had evaporated. It was obvious this repair was going to take time.

Breakfast at the Whitlow: I was amazed at the enormous collection of stuffed animals collected by the owner. In the hunting department, he could compete easily with Hemingway.

At 9 am I walked over to the Metric shop but the mechanics had not arrived. I started taking the coaming off the bike in hopes of speeding up the repairs.
When Matt the mechanic started working on the bike, we found out it had to be almost completely dismantled to get at the throttle cables. Matt had no experience on BMW but felt his way expertly around the bike. Little by little, its insides became visible. The technology hidden under the body was impressive, I had not expected that much complexity. The good thing was that the hoses,electrical connections and everything else seemed to be in good condition.

When the cables were out, Matt tried to repair it but had to give up quickly. I decided to get new cables, because the risk of breaking down again was too great. George, the owner, lent me a Yamaha Maxima and armed with my GPS I rode back to Grand Rapids.
This time I did look it over more thoroughly, it seems to be a pleasant town with lots of businesses.
After buying the cables and a tank bag, I returned and enjoyed the slow ride and the landscape. After riding my big bike, this one felt like a toy.

While I had been gone, Matt changed my front tire, so that’s out of the way too.

I checked out of the motel and back in again, and spent all afternoon in the workshop.
What had caused the problem. according to the BMW shop, the throttle cables on this model were faulty all along, so it was redesigned complete with a cable mount, so I expect it to hold up much better.

In the afternoon David and I had dinner at Brann’s Steakhouse, a pleasant sports bar. Amber, our server took good care of us andtried a Miller Lite, and I had a Samuel Adams lager and an Oberon, complete with an orange peel.
We had a good conversation about our respective personal and job history, interests and families.

All in all, an enjoyable intermezzo of the ride.

Putting the bike together again will take until tomorrow noon.
I will then take the high speed ferry to Milwaukee and ride to chicago, where I will stay at Larry's home.

The Trans America ride
is a small effort to help transform the lives of poor Maya children. During my trip I will speak about the importance of educational projects like Ak Tenamit, and especially girl´s education, and its connection to illegal immigration in the United States.


YOU CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE TRANS AMERICA RIDE!!
The target of the ride is to raise $10.00 for each mile of the ride.

I you decide to support this ride, you may:

1. Buy miles: Buy one or more miles at $10.00 per mile. There are 3,500 miles to be sold.
2. Sponsor a local event when I am in your area (a ride, a barbecue) for a $200.00 minimum.
3. Become a Student Sponsor at Ak´Tenamit for $30.00 (one month) or $360.00 per year
4. Become a Health Care Partner for $10.00 or $120.00 per year.
All funds should end up in the GUATEMALA TOMORROW FUND in the United States.
If you would like to sponsor a child, become a Health Care partner or simply want to buy one of the 3500 miles of the ride , just go to http://guatfund.org/

Tick the box ¨Trans America ride¨and authorize a charge to your credit card.
If you prefer to not to use a credit card, just see Chapter 5 of this Blog on how to donate.
JEAN , THE RIDING DUTCHMAN

transamerica.tenamit@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment