Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tuesday June 22 the Tetons and Jackson Hole




















I left the westward Ho motel at 7 am in 39 F, thankful for the heated grips on my motorcycle. I could not have ridden without them. On the way into the park, I saw an eagle, the symbol of the USA, several deer and many fisherman getting their gear ready for trout fishing.

I decide to have breakfast at the Old Faithful Lodge, a magnificent affair built in 1904.

The lobby is impressive, 4 stories high with several floors of galleries looking down into the lobby area. The breakfast buffet was good and served to perfection by a young server from Asheville, North Carolina.

Since it was too cold to ride and the place was so cozy, I retired to one of the leather couches in the second floor and read my book about Chicago until the sun came out and I could continue.

I entered the Grand Teton National Park around noon and rode along the lake which gives a magnificent view of this mountain range.


Jackson Lodge is a similarme imposing building as the Old Faithful Inn. It features magnificent picture windows in the lobby to admire the distant mountains. Both lodges are in privileged locations, with direct access to the best hiking trails and the best views. I must bring my family here..


The rest of the ride was uneventful, basically a ride South along the mountain range. I picnicked on the shore of Jenny Lake and rode out of the park toward Jackson Hole, a ski resort with a nice Old West ambiance.

The entrances to the town square are framed with an intricate arbor made of real elk horn (which are shed every year by the animal).


I visited the famous Silver Dollar bar and had a local Hoback Hefe Weizen and a Pale Ale, brewed by the Snake River Brewing Company on the second floor terrace of the Town Square Tavern, which commands the best view of the square and streets around it.

From there the famous Cowboy Bar is also visible and all the Harley Davidsons parked in front.

The strangest vehicle approached, a Vespa WITH SIDECAR and driven by A WOMAN.

The audience on the terrace, most of them bikers, erupted in catcalls and laughter, inquiring in loud voices after the gender of the guy in the sidecar. I will not repeat the expressions, to avoid Google canceling this blog, but they were hilarious!


Jackson Hole was also very busy but I found a small hotel recommended by the Visitor Center. The owner had been a professional golf player who lost almost all his money in the economic crisis and was starting over as a hotel owner. He was a nice guy with a can-do attitude. Unfortunately the internet there did not work either. I began to suspect there was something wrong with my computer.

It continued to be very cold, forecast for tomorrow morning is 38 deg.

I might take the stagecoach to Idaho instead of the bike!




Jean, the Riding Dutchman


No comments:

Post a Comment