Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tuesday, June 8 Hagerstown to Cleveland

This was just a day of hard riding!
I learned (again) it makes no sense to get on the computer and pack in the morning, it takes too much time!
So I’m packing and writing in the evening from now on.

I traveled 340 miles today, almost all on the I-80 that will take me to Chicago. No detours, no sightseeing, just riding to get there and make up for the time lost in Manassas, and get there before the storm hits. It is moving in from the Chicago area, so tomorrow it may be impossible to ride.

Temperatures were cool today, 69 F in the morning , going down to 64 and then back up to 76. The landscape was nice to look at, the freeway winding its way along rolling hills, lots of forest, all this under a fairly sunny sky but nice temperatures.
Riding is great that way!
Of course, the Pittsburgh area is different, lots of trucks traveling too fast. To pass them quickly I had to go up to 110 mph sometimes, those guys are crazy!

The bike has loosened up now so I accelerate very quickly to pass. My tires are OK, but I am considering changing the front one, will check it again tomorrow. My new cycle pump is great, it inflates my rear tire easily to 42 psi, no more hassle at the gas stations.
The BMW tourance jacket is equally fine, I am getting the hang of using the air vents to let in just enough air to stay cool depending on temperature and speed. I will need a new helmet though, full face, because the present one is just for warm weather riding.

Today I started discarding the first clothing. It makes no sense to wash T-shirts and the like, and I can get replacements at the Goodwill stores. Cheap and a good cause.

I’m on riding diet again, light breakfast, very light lunch and a good meal early in the evening. That avoids falling asleep on the bike.





Here is a picture of my lunch today, in a rest area on the freeway.



Getting close to Cleveland I asked a gentleman in Brunswick for the way to Strongsville.
We got to talking and it turned out he had a case of specialty beers, even from Vietnam, so we ended up on the porch enjoying a brew. I tried out a Old Speckled Hen English Ale, quite good! Thank you Darryl!



















Tonight I am staying at a Holiday Inn and had a Blue Moon, Belgian type beer with an orange peel inside (!). It tasted a little bitter , like the Brooklyn IPA I had yesterday. I concluded the meal of excellent onion soup and a steak sandwich with an old fashioned Amber Bock.
Remember Albuquerque, Lorenzo!


The Trans America ride is a small effort to help a great project in Guatemala.
Check out the details of Ak' Tenamit in previous chapters of this blog.
It is worth your while and we would welcome you to buy a mile, or sponsor a child in Guatemala.

Jean, the Riding Dutchman












No comments:

Post a Comment