Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wednesday June 9 to Muskegon, MI



Hey, my friends from Bayer, do you notice anything special in this picture?? I counted that every mile between 20 and 40 cars see this logo. On a total of 5,000 miles that means 100,000 to 200,000 contacts. I hope you are happy, Miguel Angel!!

As predicted, the storm passed over Strongsville in the night and it was raining hard in the morning. The forecast was for better weather in the afternoon. I considered it easier to ride against the direction of the storm towards Chicago and when the rain became a drizzle around 11 am I rode West. After 50 miles the drizzle stopped, the pavement dried out and 100 miles later the sun came out.

The Ohio Turnpike is a main artery West and bikers appeared from everywhere.
I met Ted from North Carolina on an Ultra Classic , heading for Chicago to ride Route 66 all the way to Los Angeles. He was a hardcore Iron Butt, having ridden 38,000 in one year.
He once rode to a bikers rally to Dawson in the Yukon territory, Canada all the way from North Carolina and hoped to get the prize for the longest ride. He didn't. Another fellow had made sure, first riding down to Key West and then all the way to Canada to secure the prize!!


James Michener wrote a great book, called "Journey". Since I read that book I have wanted to go to Dawson, and I will, on a motorcycle of course!

Publisher Comments:

"The best novel of James Michener's career." Milwaukee Journal

Gold fever swept the world in 1897. The chance for untold riches sent thousands of dreamers on a perilous trek toward their fortunes, failures, or deaths. Follow four English aristocrats and their Irish servant as they misguidedly haul their dreams across cruel Canadian terrain toward the Klondike gold fields.


A couple from Maryland, Amelia and Brian were on their way to the Mackinac bridge and around lake Michigan, a ride I did 2 years ago. Amelia's Harley had a great paint job, see picture, featuring all the Maryland icons, blue crabs, the flag, a lighthouse and more.
Hey, Amelia, put me on your radio show, so your listeners will buy miles for Ak Tenamit.

Jim and his daughter were riding towards Seattle and I am sure we will meet on the way, over in the bikers heaven of South Dakota or Wyoming.

One of the bikers recommended to go to Chicago via Muskegon, then cross lake Michigan on the ferry, and arrive in Milwaukee. That sounded great since friends of mine did that ride and loved it. So it was off to Muskegon.

Leaving Ohio, I entered the Michigan International Speedway, were the limit is 70 (instead of 65) and everybody drives at 80 mph. Nice landscape, a friendly Welcome Center with lots of information on Michigan and the weather was holding!
Really a great day. I did't care about sightseeing, it was all about riding as far as I could.

Going north on the 23, I got to the I-96 West which takes you all the way to Muskegon via Grand Rapids. We had strong headwinds that buffeted the bike and increased fuel consumption. Normally the bike does 50 miles per gallon, but now only 44.

I made good time and at 7.00 pm I reached Muskegon. I had been thinking that on a 5,000 miles ride, surely something must break, and it did.
Coming into Muskegon, I felt the accelerator cable snap and the bike slowed down. I got off the highway onto a exit ramp and stopped. Sure enough, the cable was broken, but the engine ran at low rpm's. I tried to fix it but couldn't, help was needed! A phone call to the number of a BMW rider in Muskegon yielded no answer.

Suddenly, a man called over a fence if I needed help. His name was David and he lived in a cute home which was 200 yards from my position. He suggested we drive the bike to his home. Sure thing, we clipped the cable in a vise, so I could ride pulling on it, and off we were. Only, I misunderstood David's explanation and ended up miles away.

Asking directions to get back, I met John, who by coincidence had been driving for the Bayer Cropscience plant in Muskegon.
He showed me how to get back to David's place and later even came by to see if I made it. David and Patty offered to park the bike in their driveway until I could find a repair shop. I found one nearby and will take the bike there tomorrow morning.
Here are my two new friends: John on the left and David on the right.
Thanks guys, you were great!!

When I prepared my trip, many times I was asked if it wasn't dangerous to ride alone and if I worried that something might happen. My answer was always: Yes, things may happen, but there is a solution to every problem. I am sure I will find help.
I am happy I was right!

Restaurants were closed by now and my dinner consisted of a can of baked beans and Spam, eaten on the curb of a liquor store. I still managed to find a real country pub, and had a Killians Irish Red, alone at the bar. A motel, el Royal, was within walking distance, and here am writing my blog before bed.

Today I rode 390 miles and it was fun! That makes a total of 900 miles behind me, and another 4,000 ahead.


The Trans America ride
is a small effort to help transform the lives of poor Maya children.
During my trip I will speak about the importance of educational projects like Ak Tenamit, and especially girl´s education, and its connection to illegal immigration in the United States.


YOU CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE TRANS AMERICA RIDE!!

The target of the ride is to raise $10.00 for each mile of the ride.

I you decide to support this ride, you may:

1. Buy miles: Buy one or more miles at $10.00 per mile. There are 3,500 miles to be sold.
2. Sponsor a local event when I am in your area (a ride, a barbecue) for a $200.00 minimum.
3. Become a Student Sponsor at Ak´Tenamit for $30.00 (one month) or $360.00 per year
4. Become a Health Care Partner for $10.00 or $120.00 per year.

All funds should end up in the GUATEMALA TOMORROW FUND in the United States.

If you would like to sponsor a child, become a Health Care partner or simply want to buy one of the 3500 miles of the ride , just go to http://guatfund.org/


Tick the box ¨Trans America ride¨and authorize a charge to your credit card.

If you prefer to not to use a credit card, just see Chapter 5 of this Blog on how to donate.

JEAN , THE RIDING DUTCHMAN

transamerica.tenamit@gmail.com









No comments:

Post a Comment